Working with us
Working with our department can give you a rewarding and exciting career. Our flexible work arrangements offer a balance between work and family life. Some benefits of working for us are:
- a good salary with opportunities to develop your career in policy areas that affect most Australians
- ongoing training and development opportunities
- access to study assistance
- access to new technology to support flexible work arrangements
- flexible working hours
- generous leave conditions
- an attractive superannuation scheme
- access to mentoring programs
- a staff job rotation program and portfolio agency secondment program
- in-house capability development programs
- an excellent wellbeing program and social club.
Our health and wellbeing program helps us provide a safe and healthy workplace for our employees, contractors and visitors. We encourage a best-practice health and safety culture to build our high standards of health, safety and rehabilitation.
The Wellbeing Program includes seminars and activities that focus on the social, mental and physical health of employees. It includes free influenza vaccinations, a carer's room, health seminars, quit smoking assistance, annual health checks, cooking demonstrations and physical activities such as lunchtime walking groups.
Employee Assistance Program
The Employee Assistance Program is a confidential, professional short-term counselling service. All our staff can access the program as a face-to-face service during work hours (by appointment) and by telephone during or outside of work hours. It is a free service for our employees and their immediate families.
We have a smoke-free workplace. As an employer, we have a duty of care to protect our staff from passive smoking while they are working. We provide financial assistance to staff and members of their immediate families who want to quit smoking. There are designated smoking areas.
Learning and development
Our employees have opportunities for learning and development throughout their careers including:
- an induction program for new employees
- a core training program with short courses for business skills and knowledge
- development programs to build management and leadership skills
- an internal rotation program to help our employees broaden their skills and knowledge.
Studybank is our study assistance program. It helps our employees develop their work-related skills through access to:
- up to 75 hours paid leave per semester for study
- financial assistance of up to $5000 per calendar year as per the Enterprise Agreement.
Employees working through school holidays can ask for help with childcare fees for school-aged children.
The Vacation Childcare Subsidisation Program reimburses up to $15.45 a day (the maximum per family) for children aged between five and 12 years. To qualify for the allowance, children must attend a registered child care service or a certified vacation care facility during the school holidays.
Our carers’ room is available for staff who need to take care of immediate family members in an emergency. It gives people an alternative to using leave. Conditions of use apply.
Our eldercare information kit contains information on eldercare issues and how to deal with them. The kit is a national resource that has information on all states and territories.