We are not just a department, we are a community.
Build a community
We support both your personal and professional development and provide you with the resources and support you need to succeed. You will work with mentors, have opportunities to engage with social and professional networks and create lasting relationships with your fellow grads, to support you throughout your career.
Many of our graduates are new to Canberra and appreciate how much our community of grads and previous grads come together and help each other out—whether it is workplace advice, where to live or things to eat and do.
We understand that for many grads, this may be your first full-time role, first experience working in the Australian Government and/or a new chapter in your career. Our comprehensive learning and development program is designed to support you and help you settle into full-time work for the Australian Public Service.
Your networks will include:
- Your buddy—before you start in January, we will pair you up with a current graduate. Graduates from the previous year are ‘social mentors’ and can give you tips on finding housing, places to eat and activities. Your buddy can also help answer any questions about starting work and they will show you around when you arrive and help you access resources and networks.
- Our graduate team—we will help make your move to Canberra as easy as possible, and be your main point of contact when you start working with us. We will manage your learning and development program and also offer you support and guidance throughout the year.
- Your workplace team—your team supervisor and colleagues will support you in your day-to-day work across your different work rotations, and help to develop your on-the-job skills.
- Departmental networks—we have a range of networks for you to get involved with, including our Social Club and Gender Equality Network.
Our graduates also enjoy all the other benefits of working with us, such as flex-time, an attractive super scheme, generous leave entitlements and a wellbeing program.
A graduate year with us is highly rewarding and can be one of the best years of your working life!
Our diversity and values
We celebrate our differences, are flexible, and work collaboratively and with respect.
We have programs, groups and networks that contribute to our collaborative and supportive culture. Our Diversity and Inclusion Strategy ensures our workforce reflects, respects and benefits from diversity. We embrace diversity, and value the contributions of our graduates and staff, who come from different backgrounds and bring diverse experiences and perspectives.
Each year we offer our program to recent graduates and graduates with professional experience. We actively encourage applications from people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, and people with culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.
In submitting your application you can select one of the following streams:
- Indigenous – Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander graduates are encouraged to apply
- disability – graduates with disability are encouraged to apply.
Graduate Development team
GPO Box 2154
Canberra ACT 2601
Email: graduate [at] communications.gov.au (subject: Graduate%20Development%20Question)