About the graduate program
Our graduates are an important part of our community, contributing to some of the most dynamic and innovative sectors in our economy – infrastructure, communications, arts, transport and regional development. You’ll benefit from both practical, hands-on experience and support, and structured professional development.
Our graduates benefit from being part of a small cohort, with high visibility across the department and exposure to a variety of work that makes a real difference. You’ll work closely with our senior staff, and be matched with a mentor to develop your skills and build professional networks.
Our program will start in late January 2021, offering you a competitive starting salary with the opportunity to progress to the APS 5 classification level after only 11 months.
We embrace diversity, and value the contributions our graduates and staff bring from different backgrounds, experiences and perspectives. If eligible, you’re invited to apply for the program under:
- Affirmative measures – Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australians
- Affirmative measures – Disability
Living in Canberra
We offer all successful interstate candidates assistance with relocation to Canberra. We will:
- Contribute to relocation costs
- Organise up to 3 weeks of temporary accommodation in the heart of Canberra City
- Have your belongings moved and temporarily stored for up to 3 weeks while you find your new home.
Canberra is more than the home of Australia’s Parliament and public service hub. Canberra has a friendly population of around 390,000 and is a vibrant city brimming with lifestyle, city services and world-class events and attractions. The shopping is great, restaurants and bars are trendy, and our café culture is buzzing.
Canberrans love their sport and have the highest participation rate in Australia—from lawn bowls to water polo and everything in between. Whether you are cheering on Canberra's top rugby league and rugby union teams, watching AFL, cricket or playing golf, bushwalking or cycling around our many bike trails, Canberra has the sports and recreational facilities to suit your needs.
We're also just a few hours' drive from the NSW snowfields, Sydney and the south coast's legendary beaches. The Canberra region boasts some of the best food and wine experiences Australia has to offer, with more than 10 wineries within a 30 kilometre drive.
By capital city standards Canberra is an affordable place to live, with an outstanding education system, excellent health services, shorter commuting times, 4 distinct seasons, a beautiful, clean environment and community living.
More useful information on Canberra is available at:
- The ACT Government's Live in Canberra website is a great source of information and their team can help you with advice on settlement, employment, housing and lifestyle.
- Australian Capital Tourism's Visit Canberra website is the best place to find out where to go and what to see and do in the capital.
- The Brumbies Rugby and Raiders website has all the info on memberships.
- The National Capital Authority's website is also a handy source of information to discover the latest and great things to see and do, taste and try, explore and experience in Canberra.
- To find out what other graduates are up to in Canberra, check out the Social Network of Graduates.