Mobile Black Spot Program
- Program update—April 2020
- Base station delays
- Base stations that are no longer required or cannot be built
- Additional information and resources
- Frequently Asked Questions—MBSP
The Government has committed $380 million to the Mobile Black Spot Program (the Program) to invest in telecommunications infrastructure to improve mobile coverage and competition across Australia.
Under the first five rounds of the Program (Round 1, Round 2 , the Priority Locations Round, Round 4 and Round 5), the Government's commitment has generated investment of more than $836 million, delivering a total of 1,229 new base stations across Australia.
On 20 March 2019 as part of the Government's response to the 2018 Regional Telecommunications Review $160 million in funding was allocated to further rounds of this highly successful program.
For more information about these rounds, including information on how the locations of base stations were selected, see the Mobile Black Spot Program's FAQs page.
In April 2020, the Minister for Communications, Cyber Safety and the Arts, The Hon Paul Fletcher MP, together with the Minister for Regional Health, Regional Communications and Local Government, The Hon Mark Coulton MP, announced the results of the Round 5 competitive assessment process.
Round 5 is funding the 182 new mobile base stations which will address coverage issues across regional and remote Australia, including 33 base stations that specifically target Public Interest Premises such as economic centres and emergency services facilities. For further information about Round 5 see the Mobile Black Spot Program's FAQs page.
The Government is proposing to run an additional Round 5A of the Program. This Round will use the uncommitted Round 5 funds to continue to expand and improve mobile coverage for regional and remote Australia.
In April 2020 the Government released a discussion paper seeking feedback from industry and community on options for the design of this next round of the Program. Further information can be found on the Round 5A 'Have your say' page, Consultation on design options for Round 5A of the Mobile Black Spot Program.
The Government has committed $80 million for Round 6 of the Program. Round 6 is expected to commence after the Round 5A process is complete.
Program update—April 2020
The Mobile Black Spot Program is delivering improved coverage outcomes and benefits to the Australian community with 812 base stations already activated as at 16 April 2020.
Base stations funded under the first five rounds of the Program are scheduled to be operational by 30 June 2022.
Base station delays
Due to a range of external factors outside of the direct control of the mobile network operators, some base stations have experienced delays and require additional time in order to be delivered.
Additional information on delays can be found on the Mobile Black Spot Program's FAQs page.
Base stations that are no longer required or cannot be built
Under the Program there are a small number of planned base stations that cannot be built at the original scheduled location. In these cases the mobile network operator will explore all options to deliver new and improved coverage to the original planned area including investigating alternative sites.
There are also a small number of base stations that are no longer required to be built as coverage is now being delivered by one or more base stations nearby. In these cases the funding for the original base station has been used to fund an alternative site.
Further information, including a list of alternative sites and a list of base stations that will no longer be built under the Program, is available on the Mobile Black Spot Program's FAQs page.
Mobile Black Spot Program
GPO Box 2154
Canberra ACT 2601
Additional information and resources
Round 1 funded base stations
- Mobile Black Spot Program discussion paper
- Mobile Black Spot Program—Round 1 guidelines
- National map of Round 1 base stations
- 499 base stations funded under Round 1—link to data.gov
- 499 base stations funded under Round 1 (XLSX, 168KB)
Round 2 funded base stations
- Mobile Black Spot Program—Round 2 guidelines-version 1.1
- National map of Round 2 base stations
- 266 base stations funded under Round 2
- 266 base stations funded under Round 2 (XLSX, 151KB)
Government Priority Locations
- The Priority Locations Grant Guidelines are available on GrantConnect
- List of 125 priority locations and their outcomes
- National Map of Priority Locations Round base stations
- 102 base stations funded under Priority Locations Round
- 102 base stations funded under Priority Locations Round (xlsx 141KB)
- The Round 4 Grant Guidelines are available on GrantConnect
- National Map of Round 4 base stations
- 180 base stations funded under Round 4
- 180 base stations funded under Round 4 (XLSX, 147KB)
The Round 5 Grant Guidelines are available on GrantConnect